- When building a new home, hire an inspector who is knowledgeable with the different phases in home construction. You are entitled to your own inspector! Don’t rely on the builder’s “third-party” inspector. That inspector IS NOT looking out for you.
- If you’re buying a new construction home that’s completely built and never lived in, get a home inspection. These homes are often referred to as “Spec Homes.” Just because it’s never been lived in, doesn’t mean it’s free from flaws. Contractors are human and sometimes things are missed or poorly executed. Hire an inspector before signing on the dotted line. If the builder wants to keep your business, they’ll often fix issues found in a home inspection. Word of advice: Don’t believe a builder when they say, “go ahead and close, we’ll fix it later.” WRONG ANSWER. Buyers who close with a builder are no longer “top priority.” While you’re stuck at home waiting for a repairman to call, the builder is working on their next buyer and closing.
- If you’re buying a pre-owned home, get a home inspection. Regardless of how pristine the home may look, a home inspection is highly recommended. Remember, there’s more than meets the eye.
- If you’re looking to sell a property, a home inspection can be helpful. If you know the house needs a lot of work, having a home inspection can help you budget for repairs. One thing to know: “Disclose! Disclose! Disclose!” If you choose to have a home inspection, you’re obligated by law to disclose all the findings to your next buyer. Many sellers will opt to have a buyer pay for and select their own home inspector.
If you’re under contract to purchase a home, here’s a little more information About Home Inspections and what to expect. If you have questions or concerns about your home inspection, contact your REALTOR® and/or Home Inspector for personal assistance.
METRO REALTY | Val J Aranda, REALTOR®
4007 McCullough Ave, Suite #477
San Antonio, TX 78212 | Direct to Val: 210-378-5987
- Find me on Facebook: Facebook.com/AgentVal
- Follow me on Twitter: Twitter.com/AgentVal
- HOMES FOR SALE: Val-A-Homes.com