If you’ve just negotiated a contract, you may have heard the term, “Residential Service Company (RSC).” An RSC (formerly referred to as a home warranty) is also known as a Home Protection Plan. This is completely different than the Homeowner’s Insurance your lender is probably asking you for.
Home Protection Plans are available to home buyers and homeowners to help cover the repair and/or replacement of some key elements in a home. If you’ve just closed on your new home or about to close on a home, the last thing you want to worry about is fixing anything for a while.
Basic coverage typically covers the maintenance, repair and/or replacement of appliances, A/C and Heat, Electrical, and Plumbing. Typically, you’ll pay a service call fee and they’ll handle the rest. (They are renewable after your term is up!)
Each company offers different coverage, so it’s important to shop and ask questions. Determine what’s most important to you in a Home Protection Plan and select a company that suits your needs and your budget.
If you’re involved in a Real Estate Transaction and have an AWESOME REALTOR®, chances are he/she negotiated to have the seller pay an allowance for you to select a company of your choice. From that allowance, you get to pick your home protection plan. If you choose an upgrade (i.e. pool equipment, refrigerator, garage door opener, etc…) you’ll simply be billed the difference at closing.
HOME PROTECTION PLANS
- If you want the flexibility of hiring your own contractor, you may want to try America’s Preferred Home Warranty (APHW). This unique way of offering service works well for properties that are outside city limits and/or for homeowners who already have their favorite service contractors.
- If you’re looking for rekey service and garage remote re-programming you may want to look at OneGuard. They also cover lawn treatment, carpet cleaning, and window cleaning! Check out their website for more details: ONEGUARD HOME WARRANTY.
- Landmark Home Warranty also offers rekey service and is known for their customer service.
- Here are a few more customer favorites: Home Warranty Options 2018
- For an expanded list of Residential Service Companies licensed by the Texas Real Estate Commission, please visit RSC list in Texas.
*Sometimes real estate brokers will receive compensation from Residential Service Contract companies in exchange for marketing their programs*
The Residential Service Contract providers provided on this blog is a resource for Texas consumers. Plan prices, business status, and plan coverages may change without notice. It is up to the consumer to shop plans, verify information, and select an appropriate plan.
BLOG PAGE UPDATED: 02/28/2020
Val J Aranda, REALTOR® & Certified eXp University Mentor
“Coaching Texas Home Buyers and Sellers since 1998”
A Wonderful Life Real Estate Group
Brokered by eXp Realty, LLC
If you still have questions about the home buying process, I am at your service SEVEN DAYS A WEEK! I keep my phone on after 5:00 pm to help accommodate your busy work schedule. I’m “on-call”, even after everyone else clocks out!