We may be a little removed from New Year’s Day, but it’s not too late to make some new resolutions for your home.
1. Start a home repair slush fund: Things in your home are going to break and need to fixed. It’s just a fact that comes with home ownership. Rather than letting expensive repairs take you by surprise, start planning for them. Set aside some money each month that you can eventually draw from when an appliance breaks or unexpected.
2. Inspect your fireplace: Even if you have a gas fireplace, you should still inspect the valves and ceramic logs yearly to ensure that everything is operating safely and correctly. If you have wood fireplace, hire a certified chimney sweep to do the job.
3. Maintain your garage door: Garage doors are big and heavy, and that puts a lot of stress on the hinges and tracks that are use to open and close the door several times a day. A regularly scheduled $50 inspection could save you hundreds or thousands in the long run.
4. Tune up your furnace: Regular furnace inspections will help identify minor problems before they turn into major ones. Also, set reminders to replace your furnace filter.
5. Clean your coils: The No. 1 refrigerator maintenance task should be cleaning the condenser coils. They can get clogged with hair and dust, reducing your fridge’s efficiency. Have you cleaned yours lately? You can hire a professional to do it, but it’s also an easy do-it-yourself job.
QUICK NOTE FROM AGENT VAL: Preventive maintenance is so important when owning a home. Fixing the little things now can save from big dollar expenses down the road.
If you are in or around the Greater San Antonio area and need a list of recommendations for handymen, plumbers, electricians, etc…, let me know. I’ll be happy to pass along a few recommendations.
REQUEST A LIST OF LOCAL CONTRACTORS OR SEND YOUR GENERAL REAL ESTATE QUESTIONS:
At your service!
HOUSES IN SAN ANTONIO
2012 NW Military Highway, San Antonio, TX 78213
Call/Text Val: 210-378-5987